The Great Cow Harbor USATF
10K National Championship
The 2022 Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is Saturday, September 17th!
In addition to the Live Run, there will also be a virtual race as well as the 2K Fun Run. See below for more details.
2022 Great Cow Harbor USATF 10K National Championship
The 2022 Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is Saturday September 17th and is the USATF 10K National Championship - open to all!
Register now - race is capped and will close at 5,000 registrants.
The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is one of the most prestigious foot races in the country. Runner's World has named the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run as one of the top 100 races in the USA. New England Runner regularly places The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run in its Top 100 Races, stating "Big race atmosphere in a small town on the Island; it's a winner! Who says those "rolling" courses can't be fun?"
The 2K Fun Run / Walk has been a huge success. This event attracts families and participants of all ages. Over 1000 2K and 5000 10K entrants are expected.
Race For Charity
The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run and 2K Fun Run / Walk, a nonprofit 501 (c) 3, is proud to support Special Olympics, The Northwell Health Foundation, the Veterans Administration, The Ecumenical Lay Council Food Pantry, and other local causes.
Registration is open through 9/1 - race is capped at 5,000 participants. Register here.
Number pickup is Friday the 16th, at the William J Brosnan School between 5:30 and 9:00 PM and Saturday morning the 17th, between 6:30 and 8:00 AM.
Information about the race, sponsorship or to volunteer
Please contact the Race Committee at email@example.com.
- Saturday, September 17th 8:30 AM
- Village of Northport, NY
- 5,000+ Participants
-Largest Long Island Road Race
Long Island Expressway (L.I.E.) to Exit 51, Deer Park Ave. north to Jericho Turnpike (Route 25). East on Jericho Turnpike for one block to Elwood Rd. North on Elwood Rd. to Northport High School. Allow 30 minutes travel time from the L.I.E. to William J Brosnan School, Northport.
The race has a staggered start. Runners are grouped according to predicted finish times. Click for more details.
Parking - Northport H.S., Elwood Rd. Shuttle bus service to starting line available from 6:45 AM to 7:45 AM. Bus service will be provided after the race from the Finish Line to Northport High School. Place your belongings in a clear plastic bag. Cars parked along the race course will be towed at the owner's expense!
Registration - Registration is open through 9/1 - race is capped at 5,000 participants. Register here.
Number Pickup - Number pickup is Friday the 16th, at the William J Brosnan School between 5:30 and 9:00 PM and Saturday morning the 17th, between 6:30 and 8:00 AM.
2021 RACE SUMMARY
The Observer New England Runner Local Community Newspapers
News 12 YES Network Adirondack Sports & Recreation
Runner's World Magazine Salmini Films Northport Patch
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When is the race?
Race day is Saturday September 17th, 2022. Start time is 8:30 AM. The race begins at the William J Brosnan School on Laurel Avenue in the Village of Northport, NY.
How do I register?
No paper applications accepted for the 10K postmarked after 8/25
Please note that the 10k race will close when 5000 entries are received.
There is NO day of registration.
- Until 9/1 - $40
- Ages 12 & Under $25
- Price increases to $50 on 9/2 and to $60 on 9/11 through 9/16.
- 2K Registration is $25 and $15 for 12 & under
Can I confirm my registration?
What is the deadline?
Please note that the 10k race will close when 5000 entries are received. Online entries will close at 9 PM Wednesday September 14th. There is no registration on race day. In the case that late registrants are allowed they are placed in the last wave.
How can I be assured of running in the same wave as my friends?
When you complete your applications, you should all enter the same unique predicted finish time such as 45 min 27 sec. Entering just 45 minutes could split up your group into different waves. You must use the time of the "slowest" runner.
How can I update my predicted finish time?
Please reply back to your confirmation email by 9/1 with the request. Need a confirmation email re-sent to you? Please click here.
Where do I pick up my number?
Due to the staggered start the numbers are not assigned until three days before the race. We therefore cannot mail the bibs. Number pickup will be Friday evening September 16th between 5:30PM and 9:00 PM or race day, 6:30 AM to 8:00 AM at the William J Brosnan School. There is no race day registration.
Is there a baggage truck?
There will be baggage UPS trucks parked near the starting line before the race. The UPS trucks will be waiting near the finish line after the race. The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is not responsible for the loss or theft of personal belongings. We will only accept belongings placed in clear plastic bags.
Is there transportation back to the Northport High School parking lot?
There will be buses at the finish line area that will bring you back to the parking lot at Northport High School. These buses will keep running until the awards ceremony has been completed. Buses will run no later than 12 noon.
Is there media coverage of the race?
For 2022 Race photos, visit www.islandphoto.com. Navigate through the Cow Harbor Race photos.
To relive the excitement of the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run, look for highlights on the YES Network to be aired in October. For airing times, visit www.YESNetwork.com.
How can I volunteer?
If you would like to volunteer, either on Race day or the few days before, please send your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator.
How can I sponsor?
From website listing, vendor setup at the event to larger opportunities please contact email@example.com
Saturday September 17, 2022 - Northport, New York
USATF 10K Championship Information
Elite Field Coordinator Contact:
The Great Cow Harbor 10k Run/ USATF 10K National Championship
Elite racers must request a password from Elite Coordinator Will Fodor and then click here to register.
Elite Host Hotel:
Hampton Inn Commack 680 Commack Rd, Commack, NY 11725
A room block is reserved with discounted rates.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Elite Athlete Housing:
Invited athletes have the option of our renowned housing program utilizing local host families. Housing will be provided for no more than 3 nights (arriving no sooner than Thursday). Housing will be allocated at the sole discretion of the elite recruiter and housing team. Recent qualifying times will be used as a determining factor in the housing process. Runners looking to utilize the housing program must commit to racing no later than September 3.
USATF 10K National Championship Eligibility:
To be eligible for the USATF 10K National Championship, elite runners must:
- Be a US-citizen
- Have a current 2022 USATF membership
- Provide a qualifying time equal to or better than the times noted below
Qualifying Times for the USATF 10K Championship:
- Women: Sub 33:15
- Men: Sub 30:00
- The Elite Coordinator reserves the right to include other selected applications.
Elite Athlete Support Assistance:
- Lodging and travel assistance will be based on 10K qualifying times or equivalent
- Qualifying times must be achieved from September 2019 to September 2022
- All support assistance will be allocated at the sole discretion of the Elite Coordinator
Elite Athlete Check-In & Number Pick Up:
- Friday September 16: 2:00pm – 4:00pm & 5:00pm - 6:00pm
· Northport American Legion Post #694 - 7 Woodside Ave, Northport NY, 11768
- Saturday September 17: 6:00am – 7:30am
· William J Brosnan Building (The start of the race)
USATF Technical Meeting:
- Friday, September 16 4:00pm – 5:00pm
- Location: Northport American Legion Post #694 - 7 Woodside Ave, Northport NY, 11768
· ALL ATHLETES competing in the USATF Championship MUST attend.
Immediately following the technical meeting will be a dinner from 5:00pm - 7:00pm
10K Elite Race Start:
The starting line is located in front of the William J Brosnan Building on Laurel Avenue
- Elite Women 8:30am
- Elite Men 8:30am
- The award ceremonies will begin at 10:45am following the race
- The ceremony will be held on the gazebo in Northport Village Cow Harbor Park
- Top 10 awards will be distributed
- Top 10 prize money will be mailed after USADA clearance.
Awards / Prize Structure:
USATF Championship medals and USATF Running Circuit points will be awarded to the top 10 men’s and women’s finishers.
In order to be eligible for championships awards, prize money, or USARC points, athletes must be entered in advance in the USATF championships field and start with the Elite start at 8:30am.
Winners in the USA 10K Championship will be determined by first across the finish.
Overall 10K National Championship Prize Money:
Top ten men and women as follows:
| $7,500 || $7,500 |
| $4,000 || $4,000 |
| $2,500 || $2,500 |
| $1,500 || $1,500 |
| $1,000 || $1,000 |
| $600 || $600 |
| $500 || $500 |
| $400 || $400 |
| $300 || $300 |
| $200 || $200 |
5K Leader Bonus $500*
*Must finish race and be in top 15 of your gender. Chip time will be used to determine 5K bonus.
|10K Record Bonus||Men||Women||Bonus|
|Course Record|| 28:22 || 32:18 || $2,500 |
- Men: Ryan Hall – 28:22 (2006)
- Women: Erika Kemp – 32:18 (2021)
Additional Prize Money not part of the National Championship - double-dipping is allowed:
- Top 3 Masters M&F (USATF Membership NOT required): First: $500 - Second: $300 - Third: $100
- Top 1 Senior Masters M&F (also eligible for Masters Prize Money & USATF Membership NOT Required): First: $100
The health and safety of the runners and staff remain a top priority for The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run and the Village of Northport. Please stay up-to-date on the latest news and guidelines from the CDC, WHO, and your local and national authorities.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to change, information on COVID-19 protocols will be provided as we get closer to the championship.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to the elite coordinator.
If The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is required to cancel the event due to an increase of local COVID-19 cases or on the direction of local, city, or state authorities, participants will be informed as soon as possible.
Need to register? Please click here.
The Great Cow Harbor 10-K Run has named the staggered start after the individual who was responsible for designing and implementing the first one, the late John J. Pitfick. In order to provide the safest race possible, and to keep runners moving during the start, the race will once again have a staggered start. This procedure might be new to some of you, and to those who have run in the past, this will be a review. In either case, please take the time to read these instructions.
There will be demands placed upon you to make the start a success. These are:
ORDERLY AND TIMELY STAGING
You will be asked to go to an area that matches the color and number series on your running number. This number was assigned solely on your "predicted finish time". During this staging period, marshals will be positioned to assist you to the proper area and check to ensure that the number and color match the staging area. The areas will be identified with signs of the same color and number.
7:00………Announcements / Instructions
7:15………Road Closed to Traffic
8:15………Runners to Staging Areas
8:20………Final Call to Runners
8:30………First Group / Flight Released
8:31………Second Flight Releases & Each Minute Thereafter
8:48………2K Fun Run / Walk
Once in the staging areas YOU will be asked to check that ONLY runners with the same number and color series are in your staging area. This is extremely important since the computer will automatically give runners an adjusted finish based solely on their groups' starting time.
There will be a start for each group. Your group will be walked to the starting line led by the first runners in your group and marshals holding the rope. YOU WILL BE STARTED A MINUTE AFTER THE GROUP IN FRONT OF YOU IS RELEASED. EACH GROUP WILL BE STARTED BY THE GUN. The results for many will be a faster start and a smoother run. ANY RUNNER STARTING AHEAD OF HIS/HER ASSIGNED WAVE WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
PLEASE OBEY ALL BARRIERS & RESTRICTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN PLACED NEAR AND AROUND THE TRAFFIC CALMING ISLAND ON LAUREL AVENUE.
1. NUMBERS: Be sure to read the additional instructions on back of your race number, include Emergency Medical Information if applicable.
2. FINISH: You may use any chute to finish. LOOK FOR THE CLOCK OVERHEAD as you finish. DEDUCT THE TIME DELAY for your starting flight and that is your time. You will not have to remove your tag. PLEASE MOVE QUICKLY THROUGH THE CHUTES. Free refreshments will be served to all runners. (Beer and wine will only be served to those 21 and over). Medical assistance will be available if needed.
3. SPLITS: Splits will be called at every mile. A large digital clock will be displayed at the Start, at 5 Kilometers, and overhead at the finish line. REMINDER, TO GET AN ACCURATE SPLIT, DEDUCT YOUR STARTING TIME - WHICH IS THE FIRST DIGIT OF YOUR RACE NUMBER FOR ALL WAVES EXCEPT THE FIRST WAVE - FROM YOUR FINISH TIME.
4. WATER STOPS: Water is available at the start, just after the 2-mile mark, and just after the 3-, 4- and 5- mile points.
5. RESULTS: Are posted online in live time with text/email at elitefeats.com. Results for the top 10 male and female overall finishers for the 10K race will be announced at the Awards Ceremony. Finish times will be posted in the park shortly after the race. There are no awards for the 2K Fun Run/Walk event.
Quality awards to the top 10 overall male and female, (All cash awards limited to U.S. citizens only) top 3 masters male and female, and at least the top 3, depending on registration, in the following age divisions: 13-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+ over.
6. AWARDS: All Overall and Age Group awards will be given out at the Awards Ceremony at the gazebo. All runners are urged to stay for the raffle at the conclusion of the Awards Ceremony. The stub on your race number must be deposited in the raffle box located on the steps of the gazebo. WINNERS MUST BE PRESENT to be eligible for a prize. Save your number as proof of identity.
7. CHEATING: All violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the USATF laws. You can help by reporting any "course cutters", "jumpers-in", or "false starters" with his or her number to a race official at the finish line. We will ban them from any future Great Cow Harbor 10k Runs.
8. PHOTOS: Digital finisher and split photos will be available in your results within hours of the race. For print quality photos, Island Photography will be photographing finishers just before the clock. Official finisher photos will be taken after the finish line and in the park. These are for finishers, friends, and family. ALL images will be posted on the web at www.islandphoto.com by 10/06 (event name= cowharbor). Remember to wear your number on the front of your shirt.
9. PARKING!!! IMPORTANT!! THERE WILL BE NO PARKING AT THE LAUREL AVENUE SCHOOL. PLAN AHEAD! EIGHTEEN SCHOOL BUSES WILL SHUTTLE RUNNERS FROM THE PARKING LOTS AT THE NORTHPORT HIGH SCHOOL (located at 154 Laurel Hill Road) TO SCUDDER AND LAUREL AVENUES FROM 6:30 AM to 7:45 AM. THE LAST BUS WILL LEAVE PROMPTLY AT 7:45am. PLAN YOUR TIME ACCORDINGLY. These buses will shuttle runners back to high school parking lots from the finish area (Woodbine and Scudder Avenues) after the race until the award ceremony is over. (No later than 12 Noon)
10. BAGGAGE UPS trucks: There will be baggage UPS trucks parked outside the registration area. Any bags placed on the UPS trucks must be marked with the runner's number and will be transported to the finish line. This is a courtesy. We will not assume any responsibility for the loss or theft of personal belongings. Make sure that all of your belongings are placed in a clear plastic bags.
11. SAFETY: Please be careful. Be extra alert for children and spectators at the start, turns, and finishing line. NO ROLLER SKATES/BLADES, BICYCLES, BABY STROLLERS, JOGGERS, HEADSETS or ANIMALS will be allowed on the course.
12. MEDIA COVERAGE: WBAB FM 102.3 FM will cover this year's race on the radio. Look for the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run coverage on NEWS 12 Long Island and YES Network.
13. Thank you: If you enjoyed this edition of the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run and 2K Fun Run/Walk, you're enjoying it because of volunteers and sponsors. This year's race preparations were started a year ago and have culminated with the total community involvement. Many organizations and individuals have participated in order to bring this great event to the Village of Northport.
-- THE RACE COMMITTEE
Long Sleeve Shirt - $27.00 each
Cow Harbor Long Sleeve Shirt
Crimson, Blue Spruce, Navy, Periwinkle, Ash, White or Black
S, M, L, XL, XXL
Baseball Cap - $25.00 each
The Great Cow Harbor Run Baseball Caps
Navy, Stone Grey, Washed Black, Nautical Red, White, Coral, and Sea Foam
Wool Hats - $20 each
Wool Watch Mens Hat
100% Wool Cap
Hooded Sweatshirt - $42.00 each
Cow Harbor Hooded Sweatshirt
50% cotton/ 50% polyester
Ash, Spruce, or Black
S, M, L, XL, XXL
Athletic Heather Sweatshirt - $35 each
Unisex Athletic Heather Sweatshirt
90% Cotton / 10% Polyester
X-Small, S, M, L, XL , XXL
Running Gloves - $12.00 each
Thermax Running Gloves
White, Black, Orange, Blue with Great Cow Harbor Logo
Cadet Sweatshirt - $39 each
Cow Harbor Cadet Sweatshirt
50% cotton/ 50% polyester
Ash, Blue, Black
S, M, L, XL, XXL
Full Zip Hooded Sweatshirt - $42 each
78% cotton/ 22% polyester
S, M, L, XL
Pelican Tumbler - $30 each
Engraved Black Pelican Tumbler