The Great Cow Harbor
The 2020 Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is on Saturday, October 3rd!
The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is one of the most prestigious foot races in the country. Runner's World has named the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run as one of the top 100 races in the USA. New England Runner regularly places The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run in its Top 100 Races, stating "Big race atmosphere in a small town on the Island; it's a winner! Who says those "rolling" courses can't be fun?"
The 2K Fun Run / Walk has been a huge success. This event attracts families and participants of all ages. Over 1000 2K and 5000 10K entrants are expected.
Race For Charity
This year the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is proud to support Special Olympics, the Veterans Administration, our local food pantry, and other local causes.
Number pickup is Friday the 20th, at the Laurel Avenue School between 6:30 and 9:00 PM and Saturday morning the 21st, between 7:00 and 8:00 AM.
The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run and 2K Fun Run / Walk, a nonprofit event, is held in cooperation with a number of community organizations. The proceeds are used to make a substantial contribution to Special Olympics Long Island, the Veterans Administration, and our local food pantry. For more information about the race and sponsorship or to volunteer, please contact the Race Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday, September 21st 8:30 AM
- Village of Northport, NY
- 5,000+ Participants
- N.E. Runner's 2009 "Race of the Year"
Long Island Expressway (L.I.E.) to Exit 51, Deer Park Ave. north to Jericho Turnpike (Route 25). East on Jericho Turnpike for one block to Elwood Rd. North on Elwood Rd. to Northport High School. Allow 30 minutes travel time from the L.I.E. to Laurel Avenue School, Northport.
The race has a staggered start. Runners are grouped according to predicted finish times. Click for more details.
Parking - Northport H.S., Elwood Rd. Shuttle bus service to starting line available from 6:45 AM to 7:45 AM. Bus service will be provided after the race from the Finish Line to Northport High School. Place your belongings in a clear plastic bag. Cars parked along the race course will be towed at the owner's expense!
On is a young sports company that was born in the Swiss alps with one goal: to revolutionize the sensation of running. Powered by Swiss technology, a team of sports scientists, world-class athletes and designers spearhead this notion. On continues to be the fastest growing running brand in the U.S. since 2016 and is now available in over 50 countries and 3,000 specialty run shops. Its patented CloudTec® technology combines the benefits of soft landings with explosive take-offs. Running on Clouds.
2019 RACE PROMO
2019 RACE SUMMARY
Cablevision Channel 12 YES Network Adirondack Sports & Recreation
Runner's World Magazine (Monthly) Running Times (Monthly) New England Runner
Footnotes (Quarterly) Newsday Northport Patch
Daily News (New York City Edition) The Observer Local Community Newspapers
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When is the race?
Race day is Saturday September 21st, 2019. Start time is 8:30 AM. The race begins at the Laurel Avenue School on Laurel Avenue in the Village of Northport, NY.
How do I register?
You can register on-line after April 1st. You can also download an application. Paper applications will only be available at the Northport Post Office, libraries and Village Hall. Super Runner Shop will also have a limited quantity. They will not be mailed out. Applications are available by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
The Great Cow Harbor 10k Run
P.O. Box 41
Northport, NY 11768
No applications accepted for the 10K on Friday night, 9/20/19.
All entries postmarked after September 3, 2019 are considered late entries.
THE RACE FEE FOR LATE ENTRIES IS $40.00.
Can I confirm my registration?
Written confirmations will not be sent. Upon completion of the on-line registration process a confirmation number will be given. Check your name by selecting the 'Am I Registered' link or by viewing the list compiled by the official timer, Start to Finish at: www.start2finish.com. Allow 7 days as this process is a weekly download.
What is the deadline?
On-line entries will close at 9 PM Wednesday September 11th. Entries sent in by snail mail must be postmarked by September 3rd or it will be considered "late" and the entry fee is $40. There is no registration on race day. Any paper application received after noon on 9/11 will not only be placed in the last wave but finishing times will not be recorded.
Please note that the 10k race will close when 5500 entries are received.
How can I be assured of running in the same wave as my friends?
When you complete your applications, you should all enter the same unique predicted finish time such as 45 min 27 sec. Entering just 45 minutes could split up your group into different waves. You must use the time of the "slowest" runner.
Where do I pick up my number?
Due to the staggered start the numbers are not assigned until three days before the race. We therefore cannot mail the bibs. Number pickup will be Friday evening September 20th between 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM or race day, 6:45 AM to 7:45 AM at the Laurel Avenue School. There is no race day registration.
Is there a baggage truck?
There will be baggage UPS trucks parked near the starting line before the race. The UPS trucks will be waiting near the finish line after the race. The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is not responsible for the loss or theft of personal belongings. We will only accept belongings placed in clear plastic bags.
Is there transportation back to the Northport High School parking lot?
There will be buses at the finish line area that will bring you back to the parking lot at Northport High School. These buses will keep running until the awards ceremony has been completed. Buses will run no later than 12 noon.
Is there media coverage of the race?
For 2019 Race photos, visit www.islandphoto.com. Navigate through the Cow Harbor Race photos.
To relive the excitement of the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run, look for highlights on the YES Network to be aired in October. For airing times, visit www.YESNetwork.com. Finish line video coverage will be available for free viewing on demand on News 12 Interactive, channel 612, on iO TV, beginning the evening of race day.
How can I volunteer?
If you would like to volunteer, either on Race day or the few days before, please send your request to: email@example.com. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator.
The Great Cow Harbor 10-K Run has named the staggered start after the individual who was responsible for designing and implementing the first one, the late John J. Pitfick. In order to provide the safest race possible, and to keep runners moving during the start, the race will once again have a staggered start. This procedure might be new to some of you, and to those who have run in the past, this will be a review. In either case, please take the time to read these instructions.
There will be demands placed upon you to make the start a success. These are:
ORDERLY AND TIMELY STAGING
You will be asked to go to an area that matches the color and number series on your running number. This number was assigned solely on your "predicted finish time". During this staging period, marshals will be positioned to assist you to the proper area and check to ensure that the number and color match the staging area. The areas will be identified with signs of the same color and number.
7:00………Announcements / Instructions
7:15………Road Closed to Traffic
8:15………Runners to Staging Areas
8:20………Final Call to Runners
8:30………First Group / Flight Released
8:31………Second Flight Releases & Each Minute Thereafter
8:48………2K Fun Run / Walk
Once in the staging areas YOU will be asked to check that ONLY runners with the same number and color series are in your staging area. This is extremely important since the computer will automatically give runners an adjusted finish based solely on their groups' starting time.
There will be a start for each group. Your group will be walked to the starting line led by the first runners in your group and marshals holding the rope. YOU WILL BE STARTED A MINUTE AFTER THE GROUP IN FRONT OF YOU IS RELEASED. EACH GROUP WILL BE STARTED BY THE GUN. The results for many will be a faster start and a smoother run. ANY RUNNER STARTING AHEAD OF HIS/HER ASSIGNED WAVE WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
PLEASE OBEY ALL BARRIERS & RESTRICTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN PLACED NEAR AND AROUND THE TRAFFIC CALMING ISLAND ON LAUREL AVENUE.
1. NUMBERS: Be sure to read the additional instructions on back of your race number, include Emergency Medical Information if applicable.
2. FINISH: You may use any chute to finish. LOOK FOR THE CLOCK OVERHEAD as youfinish. DEDUCT THE TIME DELAY for your starting flight and that is your time. You will not have to remove your tag. PLEASE MOVE QUICKLY THROUGH THE CHUTES. Free refreshments will be served to all runners. (Beer and wine will only be served to those 21 and over). Medical assistance will be available if needed.
3. SPLITS: Splits will be called at every mile. A large digital clock will be displayed at the Start, at 5 Kilometers, and overhead at the finish line. REMINDER, TO GET AN ACCURATE SPLIT, DEDUCT YOUR STARTING TIME - WHICH IS THE FIRST DIGIT OF YOUR RACE NUMBER FOR ALL WAVES EXCEPT THE FIRST WAVE - FROM YOUR FINISH TIME.
4. WATER STOPS: Water is available at the start, just after the 2-mile mark, and just after the 3-, 4- and 5- mile points.
5. RESULTS: Please do not call us for results or your time. Start to Finish Corporation will administer the finish line. Results for the top 10 male and female overall finishers for the 10K race will be announced at the Awards Ceremony. Finish times will be posted in the park shortly after the race. There are no awards for the 2K Fun Run/Walk event.
Quality awards to the top 10 overall male and female, (All cash awards limited to U.S. citizens only) top 3 masters male and female, and at least the top 3, depending on registration, in the following age divisions: 13-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+ over.
6. AWARDS: All Overall and Age Group awards will be given out at the Awards Ceremony at the gazebo. All runners are urged to stay for the raffle at the conclusion of the Awards Ceremony. The stub on your race number must be deposited in the raffle box located on the steps of the gazebo. WINNERS MUST BE PRESENT to be eligible for a prize. Save your number as proof of identity.
7. CHEATING: All violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the USATF laws. You can help by reporting any "course cutters", "jumpers-in", or "false starters" with his or her number to a race official at the finish line. We will ban them from any future Great Cow Harbor 10k Runs.
8. PHOTOS: Island Photography will be photographing finishers just before the clock. Official finisher photos will be taken after the finish line and in the park. These are for finishers, friends, and family. ALL images will be posted on the web at www.islandphoto.com by 10/06 (event name= cowharbor). Remember to wear your number on the front of your shirt.
9. PARKING!!! IMPORTANT!! THERE WILL BE NO PARKING AT THE LAUREL AVENUE SCHOOL. PLAN AHEAD! EIGHTEEN SCHOOL BUSES WILL SHUTTLE RUNNERS FROM THE PARKING LOTS AT THE NORTHPORT HIGH SCHOOL (located at 154 Laurel Hill Road) TO SCUDDER AND LAUREL AVENUES FROM 6:30 AM to 7:45 AM. THE LAST BUS WILL LEAVE PROMPTLY AT 7:45am. PLAN YOUR TIME ACCORDINGLY. These buses will shuttle runners back to high school parking lots from the finish area (Woodbine and Scudder Avenues) after the race until the award ceremony is over. (No later than 12 Noon)
10. BAGGAGE UPS trucks: There will be baggage UPS trucks parked outside the registration area. Any bags placed on the UPS trucks must be marked with the runner's number and will be transported to the finish line. This is a courtesy. We will not assume any responsibility for the loss or theft of personal belongings. Make sure that all of your belongings are placed in a clear plastic bags.
11. SAFETY: Please be careful. Be extra alert for children and spectators at the start, turns, and finishing line. NO ROLLER SKATES/BLADES, BICYCLES, BABY STROLLERS, JOGGERS, HEADSETS or ANIMALS will be allowed on the course.
12. MEDIA COVERAGE: WBAB FM 102.3 FM will cover this year's race on the radio. Look for the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run coverage on NEWS 12 Long Island and a sports channel.
13. Thank you: If you enjoyed this edition of the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run and 2K Fun Run/Walk, you're enjoying it because of volunteers and sponsors. This year's race preparations were started a year ago and have culminated with the total community involvment. Many organizations and individuals have participated in order to bring this great event to the Village of Northport.
-- THE RACE COMMITTEE
To order, please complete this order form and send it along with your check or money order to:
Great Cow Harbor 10K Run
PO Box 41
Northport NY 11768
All funds must be in US currency.
Long Sleeve Shirt - $27.00 each
Cow Harbor Long Sleeve Shirt
Crimson, Blue Spruce, Navy, Periwinkle, Ash, White or Black
S, M, L, XL, XXL
Baseball Cap - $25.00 each
The Great Cow Harbor Run Baseball Caps
Navy, Stone Grey, Washed Black, Nautical Red, White, Coral, and Sea Foam
Wool Hats - $20 each
Wool Watch Mens Hat
100% Wool Cap
Hooded Sweatshirt - $42.00 each
Cow Harbor Hooded Sweatshirt
50% cotton/ 50% polyester
Ash, Spruce, or Black
S, M, L, XL, XXL
Athletic Heather Sweatshirt - $35 each
Unisex Athletic Heather Sweatshirt
90% Cotton / 10% Polyester
X-Small, S, M, L, XL , XXL
Running Gloves - $12.00 each
Thermax Running Gloves
White, Black, Orange, Blue with Great Cow Harbor Logo
Cadet Sweatshirt - $39 each
Cow Harbor Cadet Sweatshirt
50% cotton/ 50% polyester
Ash, Blue, Black
S, M, L, XL, XXL
Full Zip Hooded Sweatshirt - $42 each
78% cotton/ 22% polyester
S, M, L, XL
Sand City/Cow Harbor Race T-Shirt - $20
90% cotton/ 10% polyester
Pelican Tumbler - $30 each
Engraved Black Pelican Tumbler