JOHN J. PITFICK STAGGERED START
The Great Cow Harbor 10-Kilometer Run, Inc. has named the staggered start after the individual who was responsible for designing and implementing the first one, the late John J. Pitfick. In order to provide the safest race possible, and to keep runners moving during the start, the race will once again have a staggered start. This procedure might be new to some of you, and to those who have run in the past, this will be a review. In either case, please take the time to read these instructions.
There will be demands placed upon you to make the start a success. These are:
ORDERLY AND TIMELY STAGING
You will be asked to go to an area that matches the color and number series on your running number. This number was assigned solely on your "predicted finish time". During this staging period, marshals will be positioned to assist you to the proper area and check to ensure that the number and color match the staging area. The areas will be identified with signs of the same color and number.
7:00………Announcements / Instructions
7:15………Road Closed to Traffic
8:15………Runners to Staging Areas
8:20………Final Call to Runners
8:30………First Group / Flight Released
8:31………Second Flight Releases & Each Minute Thereafter
8:48………2K Fun Run / Walk
Once in the staging areas YOU will be asked to check that ONLY runners with the same number and color series are in your staging area. This is extremely important since the computer will automatically give runners an adjusted finish based solely on their groups' starting time.
There will be a start for each group. Since this may be a new experience for some of you, there may be tendency to bolt at the first sound of the gun. Your group will be walked again to the starting line led by the first runners in your group and marshals holding the rope. YOU WILL BE STARTED A MINUTE AFTER THE GROUP IN FRONT OF YOU IS RELEASED. EACH GROUP WILL BE STARTED BY THE GUN. The results for many will be a faster start and a smoother run.
ANY RUNNER STARTING AHEAD OF HIS/HER ASSIGNED WAVE WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
PLEASE OBEY ALL BARRIERS & RESTRICTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN PLACED NEAR AND AROUND THE TRAFFIC CALMING ISLAND ON LAUREL AVENUE.
1. NUMBERS: Be sure to read the additional instructions on back of your race number, include Emergency Medical Information if applicable.
2. FINISH: You may use any chute to finish. LOOK FOR THE CLOCK OVERHEAD as youfinish. DEDUCT THE TIME DELAY for your starting flight and that is your time. You will not have to remove your tag. PLEASE MOVE QUICKLY THROUGH THE CHUTES. Free refreshments will be served to all runners. (Beer and wine will only be served to those 21 and over). Medical assistance will be available if needed.
3. SPLITS: Splits will be called at every mile. A large digital clock will be displayed at the Start, at 5 Kilometers, and overhead at the finish line. REMINDER, TO GET AN ACCURATE SPLIT, DEDUCT YOUR STARTING TIME - WHICH IS THE FIRST DIGIT OF YOUR RACE NUMBER FOR ALL WAVES EXCEPT THE FIRST WAVE - FROM YOUR FINISH TIME.
4. WATER STOPS: Water is available at the start, just after the 2-mile mark, and just after the 3-, 4- and 5- mile points.
5. RESULTS: Please do not call us for results or your time. Start to Finish Corporation will administer the finish line. Results for the top 10 male and female overall
finishers for the 10K race will be announced at the Awards Ceremony. Finish times will be posted in the park shortly after the race. There are no awards for the 2K Fun Run/Walk event.
Quality awards to the top 10 overall male and female, (All cash awards limited to U.S. citizens only) top 3 masters male and female, and at least the top 3, depending on registration, in the following age divisions:
will publish the complete results in their post race issue available locally.
All official results will be mailed to USAT&F
STATS. Results will also be posted on this site under Race